Sri Lanka

Re: Sri Lanka

Postby LenaHuat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:58 am

I have just returned from a 1-week trip to SL. I like what I saw. Tourism is picking up quickly after the end of the civil war. The Chinese are pouring big bucks into the southern part of the country. I visited 2 supermarkets and was amazed to find banking counters at the check-out counters. It was a breeze changing my USD to rupees at such 'integrated' service providers.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:03 am

And how was the rain down there ?
It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 am

It was rainy for the first few days but it did not inconvenienced us. When some minivans got stuck in the mud, the village elephants were on hand to pull them right :lol: . Seriously, I had my first experience residing in an elephant sanctuary.
Food is great. Service is great throughout my visit.
Please be forewarned that you are reading a post by an otiose housewife. ImageImage**Image**Image@@ImageImageImage
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:32 am

A long time ago, one of my colleagues covered Sri Lanka for the company.

He loved the place especially the mountains, tea estates, beaches etc. He would make it a point to go down there once a month ( business follow by a short vacation ). This was in the middle of the Civil War and we all thought that he was crazy and there was not a lot of business either ..

Anyway, he was saying that if they ever get their act together, tourism will boom.

I guess they now have their chance in the sun ..

It's all about "how much you made when you were right" & "how little you lost when you were wrong"
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby LenaHuat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, Winston, SriLanka will boom. Colombo will have Havelock City :lol: :-
Singapore investor S P Tao has launched the second phase of its mixed use development Havelock City in the heart of Colombo in Sri Lanka.

Located on a 17-acre prime land within the Colombo City, the US$350 million Havelock City is a joint venture between the owner of World Trade Centre, Colombo – Overseas Realty (Ceylon) PLC and the Bank of Ceylon. It’s the single largest real estate investment project to be completed by 2013.

According to the ORC’s chairman Tao, the first residential phase comprising 226 apartments on 22 levels is now complete with 65 per cent of it has been sold.

As reported in The Sunday Times Sri Lanka, the residential development has been divided into three phases, which would comprise six towers of between 22 and 29 storeys housing around 800 exclusive apartments. In addition, a 25-storey commercial tower, covering an area of 500,000 sq ft, will also built to integrate the largest and most modern shopping mall, offices and hotel with the Sama Viharaya integrated into its forecourt at street level.

When completed there would be eight apartment towers consisting a total of 1,080 apartment units.

“In three years, Colombo’s skyline will change. It will be simply not the skyline that will change, but the way of life for Colombo that will also change. Havelock City is our prime focus and what we see now is opportunity for urbanisation of cities which will naturally add fillip to our business,” said Tao.

These freehold apartments are available for sale at prices ranging from RS20 million (US$180,310) to RS40 million (US$360,620), while the rentals range between US$1,000 to US$2,500 per month.

Source : just google srilankastockpicks; tao; singapore
LenaHuat
Big Boss

Postby winston » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 pm

The United Nations Has Estimated That Up to 100,000 People Died in Sri Lanka’s Conflict Between 1971 and 2009

Nearly 8,000 people were killed in S.Lanka’s war-torn north during the government’s final offensive to crush the rebels, according to Colombo’s census department.

Source: AFP ASIAN EDITION
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Sun May 20, 2012 11:49 am

Sri Lanka president orders ex-army chief freed by Amal Jayasinghe

Sri Lanka's president has ordered the release of his jailed electoral rival, ex-army chief Sarath Fonseka, bowing to a US demand three years after the end of the island's long Tamil civil war.

The former four-star general will be able to leave prison on Monday after formalities are completed, an official said Sunday, after President Mahinda Rajapakse marked the third anniversary of the Tamil Tigers' crushing defeat.

Fonseka was arrested two weeks after he unsuccessfully challenged Rajapakse's re-election in January 2010.

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?a ... &buid=3281
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby winston » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Sri Lanka ex-army chief vows to unseat government

Sri Lanka's former army chief Sarath Fonseka, who was released from jail last month, renewed his fight with President Mahinda Rajapakse on Thursday with a call to defeat his "corrupt" government.

Fonseka led troops to victory over Tamil rebels in 2009, ending decades of ethnic war on the island, but he then fell out with Rajapakse and made a failed bid to unseat him in 2010 elections.

Shortly after his defeat, he was jailed for more than two years on what his supporters view as trumped up charges of "irregularities in military procurements". Rajapakse ordered his surprise early release on May 21.

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?a ... &buid=3281
winston
Billionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:01 am

Pro-Muslim monk attacked in Sri Lanka
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia/2014 ... 95385.html
血要热 头脑要冷 骨头要硬
behappyalways
Millionaire Boss

Postby behappyalways » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 pm

Polls close in Sri Lanka presidential vote